Administrative Assistant Job Description
About Positive Women’s Network – USA (PWN-USA): We are a national membership body of women and people of trans experience living with HIV. We are led by our members and exist to develop leadership among constituencies most impacted by the HIV epidemic in the US; to advance a socially just response to health; and to advocate for progressive, rights-based policies that affect people living with HIV. We are a growing, national organization with a current staff of nine that has outgrown some of our systems and seeks additional administrative support. Please visit our website to learn more about us: www.pwn-usa.org.
This is an hourly, non-exempt, part time position, at approximately 24-30 hours per week, with benefits. Hours are during business hours at our downtown Oakland office.
The Administrative Assistant for PWN-USA will provide administrative support for a national advocacy organization. Duties may include data entry, answering phones, responding to emails, assisting with mailing, drafting correspondence, researching vendors, ordering supplies, communicating with members, partners, and external vendors. Support for event planning and program staff as needed. Schedule and organize meetings. Provide meeting support, including taking and/or transcribing notes, booking flights and hotels. Order office supplies. Maintain office environment, including filing and organizing office. Support special projects as requested. Assist with maintaining member google groups, contact database. Update organizational records. Process check requests, invoices, and reimbursements for contractors. Other duties as assigned.
We strongly encourage people with personal experience with HIV, people of color, and queer, trans, and gender non-conforming folks to apply for this position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the items listed below.
- Serve as primary point of contact for fiscal sponsor regarding insurance, accounts payable requests, credit card tracking, liability for events, and other fiscal/administrative systems.
- Create and ensure appropriate documentation of administrative processes
- Orient, train and support staff and consultants on relevant administrative and operational procedures.
- Maintain and update organizational calendar(s).
- As needed, manage executive director’s calendar and priorities, especially as they relate to operational functions.
- Support travel arrangements, including booking of flights and hotels for staff, consultants, and members.
- Maintain and update travel preferences/accommodations needs documents for board, staff, and key consultants.
- Maintain and update board, staff and other relevant organizational contact lists.
- Train and update staff on reimbursement processes and other administrative procedures.
- Manage and coordinate reimbursements for staff, participants, and consultants;
- Prepare and submit coded check requests and requests for reimbursement.
- Prepare and submit invoices for PWN to funders to support fee for service contracts.
- Create, implement and maintain standardized systems for accounts receivable.
- Standardize systems for expense tracking.
- Negotiate with vendors for rent, phones, equipment, and technology.
- Ensure staff have necessary equipment and technology to fulfill their responsibilities.
- Ensure bills and invoices are processed and paid in a timely way.
- Monitor inventory of PWN-USA marketing materials.
- Work with vendors to place orders that meet programmatic needs of organization.
- Respond to general requests for information; direct specific requests to appropriate staff.
- Check voicemail.
- Check and process incoming mail; manage outgoing mail needs.
- Develop and maintain virtual and office filing systems.
- Schedule and organize meetings.
- Secure space and manage logistics for staff and board meetings.
- Provide logistical support for hiring, onboarding, and performance review processes.
- Coordinate Oakland office administrative volunteers, interns, and/or staff.
- Maintain office environment, including functionality, cleanliness, supplies, and décor.
Consultants and Contractors:
- Drafts contracts for independent consultants (based on standard template).
- Acts as primary point of contact for contractors and consultants.
- Manages files, billing, invoicing process for consultants, contractors, and vendors.
- Tracks contractor billing.
Other duties as assigned.
Highly organized: Applicants should thrive on attention to detail, be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and enjoy organizing and tracking materials, setting and managing priorities, meticulously tracking details of administrative work, data entry, project management, and event planning.
Self-directed: Applicants should love problem-solving; demonstrate initiative and accountability; be comfortable managing projects and volunteers as well as working independently.
Adaptive: Applicants should be comfortable working with constituencies with a broad range of professional experience and literacy levels; adaptive to shifting and evolving organizational priorities.
Collaborative: Applicants should demonstrate that they are a great team player and listener with strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with staff and consultants remotely.
Communicative: Excellent writing and phone communication skills.
Tech savvy: Skilled in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google documents and Google sheets; able to use webinar technology and navigate vendor websites
Previous work experience in an office environment required. Must be able to work from our office in downtown Oakland. Must be able to lift 25 lbs
Desirable: Knowledge of contact management databases, familiarity with HIV issues.
This position is 24-30 hours per week during business hours. Schedule will be 3-4 days a week for 6-8 hours per day. This position starts immediately. Pay is $22-$25 per hour depending on skills and experience. We provide excellent benefits to employees including health care, dental, vision, vacation and sick time. Learn about our organization at www.pwn-usa.org.
For all positions, PWN-USA seeks an understanding of the intersections between racial, gender, and economic justice.
To apply: email a cover letter, resume/CV, short writing sample, and a list of 3 references with ADMIN ASSISTANT in the subject line to: email@example.com.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
PWN-USA is a fiscally-sponsored project of Movement Strategy Center (MSC). PWN-USA is a values-based network with a deep commitment to building transformative culture and challenging racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and oppression in all its forms. PWN-USA is committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds and challenging patterns of political marginalization and oppression.
MSC is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.
Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.