Week of November 20, 2017:
Republicans plan #Takesgiving – Giving tax cuts to the rich while stripping millions of access to care!
Don’t be fooled. The new “tax reform” bill proposed by Republicans is another desperate attempt at repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The bill favors corporations and the wealthy and would repeal the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act, making health care more expensive and kicking 13 million people off coverage. Worse, giving these tax cuts to the rich will increase the federal deficit and tighten the federal budget, paving the way for Republicans to initiate massive cuts to critical social safety net programs like Ryan White and Medicaid in the future.
The House of Representatives passed their bill last week and the Senate is moving quickly to try and pass their bill right after the Thanksgiving break.
Get the facts:
- Register for this webinar on Tuesday 11/21 at 12pm PT/3pm ET to learn more about the Senate tax bill and how to stop it
- Don’t Rob Medicaid & the ACA to Pay for Tax Cuts, new blog from NHeLP managing attorney Mara Youdelman.
- Resources and talking points regarding how the GOP tax plans would negatively impact people with disabilities, from the Center for Public Representation.
- The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP): Senate Tax Bill Would Add 13 Million to Uninsured to Pay for Tax Cuts of Nearly $100,000 Per Year for the Top 0.1 Percent and Senate Budget Plan Threatens Health Programs
- The National Immigration Law Center on how the Republicans’ tax plan end tax credits for hard-working immigrant families and their children.
Call the Senate right now – every call counts! If you have trouble getting through, please keep trying until you are able to make your voice heard. Feel free to share a personal story about what would happen if you or your loved ones lost coverage. Here’s what you can say:
Hello, my name is _______. I am calling to demand you stand up to efforts to make health care more expensive and less accessible while giving tax cuts to rich people. Don’t let them take health care away from 13 million of us – including people who voted for you and put their faith in you – during the holiday season. We deserve better. In fact, what we need are vocal champions for less expensive, quality health care that covers more people. You can do that by supporting the proposal to make Cost Sharing Reduction payments. Can we count on you?
Call all these Senators NOW to save health care:
Susan Collins (R – ME): (202) 224-2523
Lisa Murkowski (R – AK): (202) 224-6665
John McCain (R – AZ): (202) 224-2235
Bob Corker (R – TN): (202) 224-3344
Jeff Flake (R – AZ): (202) 224-4521
Shelley Moore Capito (R – WV): (202) 224-6472
Rob Portman (R – OH): (202) 224-3353
In-PersonJoin health care activists who have planned demonstrations in district or in Washington, D.C.
- Your members of Congress are coming home this week!
Find a town hall near you here.
- Sign up for the next big demonstrations on November 28th and December 5th in Washington HERE or sign up for a demonstration near you HERE.
- If you can’t make it to D.C., sponsor activists who are willing to travel.